Broccoli Soup with French Loaf Croutons
It is starting to feel like fall with the cooler mornings and a scattering of yellow leaves about the farm yard. I always find it bittersweet to say goodbye to summer, even though fall is a favourite of mine. It's a time for cozy sweaters, walks in crisp morning air with crunching of leaves beneath your feet, beautiful colours and bowls of hot soup to warm your insides. This Broccoli Soup with French Loaf Croutons is delicious! Hope you enjoy!
4 TBSP butter
1 large head of broccoli (or 2 medium heads), stems included, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
5-6 c veggie or chicken stock or bone broth
1/2 c cream
4 TBSP flour
1c grated aged cheddar cheese
Homemade Croutons (a day-old sourdough, French or multigrain loaf, cubed, 1/4 tsp red chili flakes, sea salt, pepper and olive oil)
1) Melt the butter in a thick-bottomed pot over medium-high.
2) Add in all the veggies, season with sea salt and pepper and sauté until the onion is translucent. If the broccoli has a tough stem, I peel it the tough outer layer and chop the rest.
3) Sprinkle in the flour, stir to coat the veggies and cook one minute.
4) Add in the stock or broth and bring the soup to a boil, then simmer with no lid for 15 minutes or so.
5) While the soup is simmering, preheat the oven to 400F. Cut a day-old loaf into cubes. Place them in a large bowl and generously drizzle with olive oil. Season with the red chili flakes, sea salt and pepper. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread out the croutons. Bake 10-15 minutes.
6) Pour cream into the soup and blend with an immersion blender until smooth. Add 1/2 c of grated aged cheddar to the soup and stir to combine.
7) Taste, season the soup with salt and pepper to your liking. Top with the remaining grated cheese and croutons at the table in each bowl. Yum!
Enjoy! Serves 4-6